Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Being sick and honor band

So last weekend, from Thursday afternoon until Saturday evening, was the WKU Honor Band Clinic. It was really fun, but it would have been even better if I hadn't gotten ragingly sick on Friday. It's some nasty cold/cough thing and it's making me miserable. But back to Honor Band. We drove down on Thursday, which was probably the highlight of the trip (because I actually wasn't sick) and we were cracking jokes and making merry and such.Then we got down to Western and it was so cool. They have a really beautiful campus (even if it is absolute death with all the hills) and we auditioned. I wasn't happy with my chair placement, but it turned out all right in the end because the director of my band, Mr. Starnes, was super cool. We rehearsed for about an hour on Thursday night because the flutes took forever to show up, and we finally went back to the hotel after it was all over. And we went to Wal-Mart , which was fun. On Friday, I didn't start getting sick until the afternoon, so the morning was ok. We rehearsed in this huge ballroom in a conference building and it was either blazing, boiling hot or freezing because they'd prop open ALL the windows. After we left for lunch, my group had to wait for the group from the other band to show up at the dining hall for forever, but they finally showed up and we went in and had some pizza. That's when I started to really feel bad--coughing and shivering and feeling all fever-y. So we went back to rehearsal and I about DIED, because 1) I was super-tired from not going to bed until about 1:30 AM (I know it sounds lame, but I'm pretty much dead if I go to bed after midnight) and 2) being sick on top of everything else, and 3) my director was rehearsing this one section in this one kind of boring song OVER and OVER and OVER and it was a part where I didn't play, so I just kind of sat there going "Duuhhhh..." By then I was feeling really terrible and only consoled myself with the thought of sleeping on the way to dinner. After rehearsal FINALLY let out, we waited at the car for FOREVER for the kids from the other band. Then we drove out to some restaurants, and on the way there, the entire car was arguing about what to eat. I wasn't, because I was on Death's door, but I digress. We finally stopped at a Subway, where I just sat at a booth and tried not to pass out/die and got a Sprite. I guess this all sounds kind of melodramatic, but it was bad. So everyone gets Subway and we head back to the hotel before the Prism concert, where I took some medicine and a short nap. I felt a lot better after I took some medicine, and then we went to the Prism concert. It's this thing where they have all sorts of ensembles, like a trumpet group and the pep band and the concert band and a capella groups and it was AWESOME. There was this steel drum group (like the things they play in Jamaica) and then the trumpets played "Jupiter" from The Planets, and it was probably the coolest thing ever. And the male a capella group was awesome, too. And so was the Pep Band. They had strobe lights and fog machines and all sorts of cool stuff--I can't wait for next year's. After we got back to the hotel again, we watched the last few minutes of The Dark Knight before everyone left our room and we went to bed. I felt fine during all of that, but when I woke up the next morning it was Misery City again. We had the concert, it was awesome, and I went home. I'll elaborate more later, but I'm really tired now and I want to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment